Thursday, March 3, 2011

Warning...Political Rant....

I am so disappointed at the Supreme Court ruling in favor of Fred Phelps, I could just cry.

 For those of you not familiar with Mr. Phelps' clan and the Westboro Baptist Church, let me offer a brief explanation.  Phelps' group belies that gays are a sin against humanity.  They think the Americans being killed in the war in Afghanistan and Iraq are dying because of God's wrath against gays in America.  So, they have chosen to speak out about this issue.  Where do they take their protest?  They picket funerals of servicemen who died in combat in these wars.  The idea is preposterous.

First of all, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have nothing to do with gays.  These soldiers whose graves are being picketed are not known to be gay.

The Supreme Court ruled 8 to 1 that the Phelps clan has the constitutional right to freedom of speech and can picket.  OK...I get free speech.  But there is also the inherent right, no responsibility, to respect another person.  The poor families of these servicemen are grieving.  They have lost their love ones, often very young people to a horrible death.  Why degrade these young people and their ultimate service to their country?

Pick some other place to protest.  One's rights to protest should not infringe on another person's rights to a dignified funeral.  Why can't we show a little respect, courtesy, and empathy to people in their time of sorrow?

3 comments:

Blessed To The Fullest said...

I agree. It's sad too because this looks bad on Christians. I am saved and washed by the blood. I am a Christian and this is NOT how Christians operate! I don't know what's going on in his head and I usually don't speak out about things like this but my Grandpa fought in a war. I understand what it's like laying a loved one to rest. This is just sad and it's personal to me. It's like one bad apple in the bunch and it's getting so much publicity. I don't have the right words but it's so frustrating! That is NOT walking in love! I would like to see his scriptures that back up what he's doing because I disagree with his actions (I'm not speaking of his beliefs - that's another subject although I'm not saying I belief or disagree here-just actions) and so does every other Christian I've talked to about it!

Paige said...

I agree, this topic just completely makes me sick to my stomach. How he can correlate a connection between this ongoing war and gays is just ridiculous. And those poor families that have to deal with this. I too understand about free speech, but I feel that a line has definitely been crossed and something else needs to be done. And I believe that we have a loving God not a hateful God as he is portraying. This topic IS so frustrating and I could go on and on about it. And you say this has been going on for more than 30 years? Yuck.

Barb said...

I think that is appalling that they would picket at these funerals....even if it were true, which it is not....it is just so cruel and inhumane to do this to the families....what is this world coming to?