Thursday, October 7, 2010

Local, Not Global

The world has gone global with the internet and international industry.  We can buy and sell across the country or overseas at the click of a button.  But what about our local economy?

 Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not abandoning shopping on the internet.  I'm all about a good bargain, and finding unique things I don't see in the local store.  But when it is the same product, to buy it locally, from a PERSON, makes a huge difference.  Your local purchase puts dollars to work in your community.  Someone gets a paycheck, which they in turn, hopefully, also spend in your community.  The tax money goes to your local school system, etc.

While no one wants to say we are in a depression, and I'm not sure how economists define that anyway, it is clear that our economy is struggling.  Just about everyone I know is having to belt tighten and pinch pennies.  Government stimulus dollars won't help, if we send our own dollars out of our communities.

That's it.  That's my soap box stand for today.  So go check out your local farmer's markets, your local stores, and your neighbor's small businesses.  It'll be good for you, and good for your community.

No comments: