Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Oh no, I'm technology dependent!

At what point did I become technology dependent?  It scares me somewhat, as I pride myself on being down to earth, old fashioned, and independent.  

I am shocked that I feel anxiety whenever I realize I've left my cell phone at home.  What's that all about?  I didn't use to have a cell phone, and it seems that I got along fine for all those years.  I can't remember the last time I took a call that was a crisis of some sort.  I'm not knocking cell phones.  I think they're terribly convenient.  I especially fell in love with text messaging during hurricane Katrina when I found that the texts would go through when phone calls would not.  It was a great relief to be able to contact my family at that time. I'm just questioning the emotion surrounding them that has taken them from convenient tool to necessary appendage.  And now with all the so-called smart phones, it's even worse.  People can update their status on Facebook several times a day, and even add pictures, using their phones.  Why is this necessary?

My computer dependence is just as bad.  I have to have my daily "fix" of checking my hotmail and several other sites.  Again, there is seldom anything on there that couldn't wait a few days, but I have now conditioned myself to "need" to do it every day.

I meant to write a different blog, but you're getting this one because my computer died.  It was hit with some virus thing.  My own spyware scans couldn't clear it off.  Lucky for me, I have a computer tech in the family.  I simply called him to come over and clean it up.  Well, he's sitting there, doing this or that and what does he say?  He says "huh?"  Well let me tell you, "huh?" is not a real good thing to hear from a computer whiz.  He even called and talked to one of his fellow computer technicians.  It turned out he would have to take my computer in to get a different scan done using an external drive, or something, I didn't really understand.  I did get the part about taking my computer away for a couple of days until he could get the time and whatever else he needed to fix it.  What?  I can't not have a computer!  I suppose the panic in my whine was impressive, as he brought me a substitute computer to use.  (He has this kind of stuff).  Sounds great, but all is not rosy.  The computer he brought me is a mac.  It gets on the Internet just fine, but I can't seem to find a word processing program on it.  It's probably here somewhere, I just can't find it.  And apparently, macs don't cut and paste the same way windows do.  I can't learn all this stuff over.  It's also not configured to connect to my printer. So I am traveling in the dark ages of Internet surfing and not liking it.  I know, I know.  I hear you.  At least I'm on the Internet, and I am thankful for that. 
 
I am preparing my next blog, which will be wonderful, I'm sure.  I'm using the ancient tools of a pen and a piece of paper.  Wow!  It's like riding a bike.  You don't forget how.

Now, let me go find my cell phone, so I can leave my house to run non-technical errands.

No comments: